- Responsible for the guidance and supervision of 5 Deputy Commissioners of Districts of the Division viz.,
- Two Hill Districts: Dima Hasao (previously North Cachar Hills) and Karbi Anglong
- Three Barak Valley Districts: Cachar, Hailakandi and Karimganj.
- Appellate Authority in several Acts viz., Assam Services Discipline and Appeal Rules 1964, District Ministerial Service Rules 1967, Bengal Public Demands Recovery Act 1913, RTI Act, 2005 and others.
- Review law and order of 5 Districts at regular intervals including six monthly joint review with all the 5 DCs, 5 SPs, Army, BSF, CRPF, SIB and others and enabling the districts to hold District Level Coordination Committee meetings (CI Ops and Law and order) monthly as discussed on 04.03.2013.
- Facilitate holding of District and Sub-District level National Solidarity and Integration Committee meetings before national functions and major festivals and supervise the formulation and implementation of social action.
- Undertaking annual inspection of O/o Deputy Commissioners and Sub-Divisional Offices in a prescribed format and follow up.
- Undertaking review and inspection of various Developments programmes/ schemes/projects and provide guidance with emphasis on Scheduled Tribes, Scheduled Castes, Minorities, Border Areas and Tea Tribes.
- Pursuing pending matters of 5 Districts with the Government.
- Compliance to Right to Information Act, 2005 and implementation of Citizen Charter.
Complimentary / Convergence / Synergy Functions
- Holding regular convergence meetings with the DCs, HODs and Government Departments and GOI agencies for the development of critical infrastructure viz.,
- Expeditious and timely completion of East-West Corridor ( review with NHAI/State Level Committee)
- Expeditious and timely completion / conversion to Broadguage railway from Lumding to Barak Valley (Meeting with NF Rly Construction Company),
- Controlling Pachgram erosion and road development, (with PWD(NH), WR, BRO, CWC, GOI MRSTH, HPC and Hailakandi DC)
- development of roads in the districts (PWD –NH, Rural roads etc. at State level)
- Improved communication between Guwahati and Barak Valley via Meghalaya.
- Safety of bus/ carrier passengers from Guwahati to Barak & Hills and Back; and within the Districts (with Comm. Transport, ASTC, Comm. Sales Tax, DTOs)
- Development of Telecom and Internet Connectivity (CGM BSNL and others)
- Undertaking partnership of District Administration with the National Institute of Technology, Silchar and Assam University, Silchar for
- The Border villages Development both by their innovative initiatives and by engaging their faculty/students in the monitoring of important schemes of different sectors viz.,Education, Health, Drinking Water, Nutrition, Public District System, Roads, Transport and Communication, Information Technology etc.
- For the capacity building of civil society in combating crime against women and communal / ethnic violence; and strengthening the Government and Civil Society Joint Strategy to combat crime against women and communal/ethnic violence.
- To improve the living condition of ST, SC, Minority and Tea garden Labour.
Power and Duties of Commissioner
- Appointment of Head Assistant of District and Sub-Divisional establishments.
- Scrutiny and recommendation of proposal for additional staff in district establishment.
- Service appeal against of Deputy Commissioners inflicting any punishment under the classification, control and Appeal Rules on the staff in respect of which they are appointing Authority.
- Sanction of appointment of IAS/ACS officers in a district as Certificate officer under provision of the Bengal Public Demand Recovery Act, 1913.
- Sanction of House Building Advance to the Gazetted and Non-Gazetted officers under Division.
- Renewal of temporary post originally created with concurrence of Finance Department.
- Grant of leave to IAS Jr. Scale and ACS officers.
- Countersignature of T A bills of the Deputy Commr. & Addl. Deputy Commissioners of five districts.
- Functioning as Arbitrator for National High Way cases of districts.
- First Appellate Authority of R T I Act,2005.
Moreover, Commissioners of Divisions are empowered to exercise some power as defined in the following Manual/Regulation/Act. Such as (1) Assam Executive Manual in Chapter IV, General Section 1 Administration: Rule-103 (i , ii, iii, iv,v, vi, vii) Rule-116, 119, 224, 372; (2) Assam Land & Revenue Regulation,1886 Rule.
Special Officer to the Commissioner
- Assists the Commissioner in all matters of office establishment and organizational functions/duties.
- He is State Public Information Officer of the office under R T I Act,2005.